Meatless Monday: Mac and Cheeeeeese

Say WHAaaaAT?

You heard it here first...I've jumped on the bandwagon. Damn that bandwagon, so attractive and alluring. I am on the meatless bandwagon, but only for one day a week. So, I guess you can say I'm a part-time rider of this wagon. I'd love to stay and shmooze with the Vegans all week, but let's be realistic here... my self-control is nowhere close to theirs. I think you have to like veggies to be a vegan, right? Yeah, not happenin' here. I'm the girl who believes that the veggie crisper in the fridge is where vegetables go to die.

But, I'm working on changing that a bit. One day a week.

My first real meatless dinner was a recipe I found in one of my favorite cookbooks Deceptively Delicious. I was craving something comforting that week so this really hit the spot! And BONUS POINTS, hubby absolutely loved it. I was shocked! He is more of a meat eater than I am and he didn't even miss the meat one bit.

Macaroni and Cheese
(Adapted from Deceptively Delicious)

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups whole-wheat elbow macaroni
1 cup skim milk
1/2 cup chickpeas-pureed
1/2 cup of butternut squash-pureed
1 1/2-2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
4 slices of Colby Jack Cheese- Thinly sliced
1/2 cup of Italian breadcrumbs
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp paprika
1/8 tsp pepper

1. Boil macaroni according to the package.
2. Combine the milk, bean puree, and squash puree in a blender and blend until smooth.

3. Coat a large saucepan with cooking spray and set it over medium heat.
4. Add milk and pureed mixture and stir for about 2 minutes. Add shredded cheese and cook until creamy and melted.

6. Stir in the macaroni. Pour the delicious mixture into a baking dish of your choice.

8. Bake at 375 for about 20 minutes or until the cheese is melted to your desired melted levels.

ENJOY!

1 comment:

  1. I never had mac & cheese like you made these, it looks really yummy.

    ReplyDelete

I want to know what you think...no really I do! Leave a comment, question, or just a hello. It'll make me SMILE!

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS