Homemade Flour Tortillas

This recipe blows my mind. I can't believe how easy it is! For some reason, I thought tortillas were made from  magical ingredients that only Abuelas (grandmas) knew how to get. Sorry to break it to you Mija, but the secret is out! Vamanos!

First off, I need to give a shoutout to one of my new favorite bloggers. She is the reason for this post because her blog is where I pretty much jacked this rad recipe from. Thank you, FearlessHomemaker for being a source of so many great recipes. And BONUS, she is super down to earth and writes in a way that makes you want to be her friend. Go check her blog out. You can thank me later.

Project Wifey Wife: The Savory
Homemade Flour Tortillas
from The Fearless Homemaker

Ingredients:
3 1/2 cups of all purpose flour
3/4 cup of vegetable shortening
2 tsp of salt
1 cup of lukewarm water

1. In a large bowl, blend the flour and shortening together so that it resembles fine meal.

2. In another bowl, dissolve the salt in the water. I used my mixer with the dough hook attachment to incorporate the salt water with the flour mixture.
3. The Fearless Homemaker suggests dividing the dough into 12 equally sized pieces and then rolling them into a ball. Because I am so impatient, I just ripped chunks, flattened with my hand, and used a rolling pin for extra flattening powersMy way worked fine. Just make sure you get them as thin as you can.
4. Again, the patient Fearless Homemaker made hers into circles by using a plate as a cookie cutter and trimming off the access. I, on the other hand, just threw it in the pan. Both works. I should try to be more patient.

5. Cook each tortilla in a nonstick pan for about 2-4 minutes on each side on a medium-high heat. They will brown and puff, you will flip, then you will see the magic that is tortilla making. It's really that simple.

Then use this carne asada recipe and prepare to be transported to Meh-heeko.
My hubby absolutely loves these tacos and begs me each week to make them. I tell him "What do I look like? An Abuela?" Then he says Yes and we argue and thumb wrestle or tickle fight until it's ok again. That's what normal married couples do, right? Yeah, I didn't think so.

5 comments:

  1. I love home made tortillas!!! Try corn flour, gives it a totally different flavor! I usually just add water until the 'dough' forms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. woohoo! i'm so glad these turned out so wonderful for you - they look absolutely fabulous. and thank you sooo much for the awesome shoutout - it totally made my day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the way you say simple, simple, simple :).

    P.S. Enter my awesome giveaway, win some bling!
    http://drastic-plastic-fantastic-plastic.blogspot.com/2012/02/poshlocket-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mom would make tortillas just like these when I was little. She would give us a small ball of dough and we would play with it forever. I guess it was a smart way to get us out of her way until she was finished.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't know it was that simple to make DIY tortillas! I've wasted so much money on store-bought tortillas but now I can make them at home! Thank you for the step-by-step photos!

    ReplyDelete

I want to know what you think...no really I do! Leave a comment, question, or just a hello. It'll make me SMILE!

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS