My New Year's Resolutions

Well hello there 2012! You look rather chipper and ready to go. Well, I'm ready to go, too so LET'S DOOOO THIS!

I would be lying if I said I am "looking forward to this year," because really, I don't have much planned for 2012, YET. Don't get me wrong, I am happy that it's a new year because to me and everyone else on the planet, it means new beginnings and new possibilities. Yeah, it's hard not to sound cliche when you're saying all that junk, but that's the way it goes in Blogtown, USA.

Also around Blogville are New Year's resolutions and anti-resolutions propaganda. Here on my bloggity blog, I am very much FOR resolutions and vote yes on Prop NYR. I have always been a strong advocate of making goals. Some say that resolutions should be made on any day, not just New Years, but I say to each his own. Some people, like myself, feel the newness of the year on January 1st. I also feel it in the beginning of the school year, every Monday, ever first of the month, and after every bowl movement. Fresh starts, right?

Here are my Resolutions from last year 11 in 2011. I think I did A-OK.

So, without further ado, here are my Resolutions for this brand spankin' new year.

Goals for 2012

Intellectual and Spiritual Me

1. Educate myself.

I am the type of person who rarely reads things thoroughly. Hell, I never EVER proofread any of my college papers before submitting them. It's a wonder how I even got by. I don't even proofread my blog most of the time, hence the spelling and grammar mistakes. I never read directions or instructions either, unless it's for IKEA furniture of some super cool Lego model. As a result, I don't feel like I am truly knowledgeable in anything other than the In-n-Out Menu. I feel like I need to slow down and read things more thoroughly and really become knowledgeable enough with various topics and things to be able to articulate myself.


 2. Read, Read, Read

This year I read more than I've ever read before. I read more books than magazines which makes me smarter than ever before, no? I'm not an avid reader but the feeling of getting lost in a book is very addicting and something that I really enjoyed this year.
My goal is to read at least one book for fun and one book for self-improvement a month. I also want to start reading some of the classics.

3. Pray and meditate daily


I've been really into yoga lately and our meditation portion of the class is crucial for my well-being. In other words, it helps me not to be Mrs. Angry Incredible Hulk when I'm at home or at work. My mind is constantly running a million miles a minute and when I meditate and pray, it is the only time I feel in control and calm. Why not set aside 10 or so minutes a day for that? Ok. Done and Done.

Strong and Healthy Me:

4. Strengthen my mind and body via yoga

You don't know how happy I am to be able to touch my toes. This is history in the making, folks. I love the challenge of yoga and the benefits are incredible. I feel like my muscles are getting stronger! I definitely want to keep this up. And by the end of the year, I want to be able to do these poses.

.via.

.via.
 And if I could do both of these on the beautiful sandy beaches of Hawaii, 2012 will be the best year ever!

5. Run a 10K

I am a little hesitant to put this on here because right now I don't know if I am capable of such a task, but I'm aiming high and hoping for the best. Last year my goal was to run two 5Ks without stopping and I did it. I'm hoping that by the end of this year, I can say that I did this one, too.... duh... that's what resolutions are for right?


6. Eat more Veggies

This one is going to be tough. I HATE vegetables. I want to have a good relationship with veggies because I know they are good for me. Veggies, let's make a deal, you taste good and I'll eat you, yes?
Hmmm, I Googled "I hate Veggies"  and only pictures of kids hating them came up. Interesting.

The Hopeful Chef Me:

7. Get back to Project Wifey Wife

Since my camera broke, I haven't been blogging much about my cooking. I miss posting my two new recipes a week. My goal is to really try to commit to this again. 

8. Create my own
Now that I have a few recipes under my ever expanding belt, I want to dive into creating my own. I am used to putting my spin on things but to create something that is truly my own would be the bomb dot com backslash bangarang.

9. Host more dinner gatherings





I want to invite more people over for dinner parties. I'm a grown-up now and I think that's what grown-ups do. I need to get over the stress of it all, hire a maid to clean my house, and I'm good to go. Who wants to come over for dinner?

10. Stop trying to be perfect

The last one is a little more personal and I will spare you the gritty little details. In a nutshell, I tend to internalize everything which turns into obsessing over everything, which turns into over thinking everything, which turns into being hard on myself, which turns into depression. See what I did there, I thought about this one simple thing way too much. I want to stop that. I want to learn to relax.

So there you have it, my New Year's Resolutions. Striving to be a better person is never a bad thing so I definitely encourage you to make a few. You can do it, friend!

  • What are some of your resolutions?

11 comments:

  1. I'll come to your house for dinner. Ummm wait... wasn't I supposed to have you and Sergio over? Damn. Fail.

    I think one of your resolutions should be to have a baby when I do. I think one of my biggest resolutions is to make sure to walk the dogs for at least 20 minutes 5 times a week. Reaching for the stars ;)

    And you can run a 10k. Totally.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great goals! You could do a 10k by March, trust me. If you're doing yoga, and can do a 5k, you'll be just fine. (AKA you're in a lot better shape than people who don't train at all and still finish!!!) I'm trying to read 3 self improvement books this year. That's up from, oh, uh, 1/2 a book this year. I read fiction like crazy in the summer, but as a teacher (You know) I hate reading during the school year - People, Shape, and Runnersworld are my literature of choice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the resolutions! It feels good to just put it down on paper sometimes!! :) My goals for 2012 include baking these two girls to a healthy, full term weight, being there for my son, being a good "long-distance" wife while my hubby is deployed, getting back to a regular excercise program after I deliver and doing the best I can when I start school this summer!! :) That's enough for me! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing goals! You should definitely do Couch to 10k. I think it will help you become more confident in the 10k distance. I personally LOVE a 10k! I'd also love to try to eat more veggies. I'm a starch girl. I need to incorporate a fruit or veggie with every meal or at least as a snack.

    Good luck! Those are amazing goals!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy New Year!!! I hope 2012 will be the best year ever for all of us. I hope this year will be creative, full of passion and hope.

    You have such beautiful goals, good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy New Year!!! I hope 2012 will be the best year ever for all of us. I hope this year will be creative, full of passion and hope.

    You have such beautiful goals, good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've totally got the 10k in the bucket! With your ability to do a 5k you can easily do a 10k in a few months! I have faith in you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Let's just say I could have written #10. Great goals for the year, good luck!
    Oh! You can definitely rock that 10k - no doubt!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Happiness Project is SUCH a good book! You will love it. And it's one of those that you open again and again .... full of like hacks and reality checks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE all of these goals!
    HOW inspiring are you?!

    I can't wait to follow along, and see all of your progress.

    Bring it on 2012! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that you want to host more dinner groups! I want to be a real grown up one day and have a dinner group that meets once a month at different houses and shows off their culinary/hosting skills....

    I completely understand stop trying to be perfect. It's so easy to sweat all the small stuff that I constantly screw up that I forget about the good things that I'm doing!

    You can run a 10K! You can do it! I know you can!

    ReplyDelete

I want to know what you think...no really I do! Leave a comment, question, or just a hello. It'll make me SMILE!

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS