Bajan Coconut Kisses

A few years ago, I went on a trip to the lovely island of Barbados. I was gifted this trip by my Uncle Norman and Aunt Clem who were stationed there on business for a couple of years. I went with my Auntie Irene, who might as well be my cousin because she is cool like that. It was an AMAZING trip. But I'll leave those details for another day. Here is a quick recap.
I spent MOST of my time doing this...

We went to MANY beaches to be lazy. That's awesome.

And this....

My sad attempt to snorkel. I can't swim :(

And a lot of this...

Eating deliciously fresh Bajan food

 I would love to go back one day. ::Le Sigh::

Anywho- while I was there, my Aunt gave me a great idea to start collecting cookbooks from my travels. Being a foodie, I thought this was a genius idea!! So far, I have ONE. I need to travel more.

This cookbook has all kinds of real deal Bajan food. Everything from Scalloped Flying Fish to Christmas Jug Jug (a beef dish) to Rum Cocktails, which they are known for.
I love the accompanying drawings
I decided to start of easy and add some of my Sunshine Flare.

Bajan Coconut Kisses
adapted from my Bajan Cookbook

Ingredients:
1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs beaten
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups flour
pinch of salt
1 1/3 cups grated coconut
Hershey's Kisses (I used Macadamia Kisses)

Hubs and I got these Kisses on our Honeymoon in Maui. They are ridiculously expensive for Kisses, but so worth it! I thought, "What the hey, I'll throw them in there! They're islandy."
1. Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. That is some fluffery fluff right there!

2. Add the beaten eggs and vanilla and beat well. Don't forget to scrape the bowl...not with your fingers.
3. Fold  in the sifted flour and salt and then the coconut.
Sprinkle the coconut in your mouth, smile, and imagine you're on the island of Barbados. The people are incredibly nice there...so smiling is a must.
Cool Cool Coconuts!

4. Drop scoopfuls of the mixture onto a lightly greased baking pan and flatten those suckers with a kiss.
MUAH!

I had a kissfest. A kissing masacre. A kissapalooza. I kissed the hell out of these cookies.
I totally won this round.
5. Bake at 350 degrees for about 12-15 minutes.
These taste like summer. Want a bite?
If you aren't planning on going to Barbados this summer, you can makes these. If you ARE planning to go to Barbados, let's start being friends now so it wont be so awkward on the plane when we sit next to each other. Ok? And can I borrow some money for the airfare please? Thanks.

6 comments:

  1. omg! I'm going to save this recipe!! These are 2 of my weaknesses! 1) Coconut and 2) COOKIES!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the cookbook collection idea! Now I'm sad that I didn't think of it when I went on my trips the last few years (especially now that I have no idea when there will be another).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea of collecting cookbooks from your travels---that's the best souveinier I can think of!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lol wtf is a Wifey Wife? You make me giggle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cool idea! I'm totally going to start buying local cookbooks when I'm in new places. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG - I made macaroons last night! What are the odds of us both making something with coconut and chocolate? Great recipe - I'll have to try this one day.

    ReplyDelete

I want to know what you think...no really I do! Leave a comment, question, or just a hello. It'll make me SMILE!

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS