What's up? Chicken Butt

I really don't know why I decided that this week would be the week I roast my first chicken. At work, we're taking our State Tests, and I strongly loathe the testing schedule by the way. In my afternoon job as a Toddler Runner, and I lovingly refer to this as a job because, let's face it, I am put to WORK slappin' that pavement, T and I are training for our 5K this weekend. And in my home job as a full time wife and puppy caretaker, there is a Mt. Everest-sized pile of socks and undies that scream my name every time I pass it by in...yes...the middle of our dining room floor.

What the Hey, I'll just go ahead and add "Roast a damn chicken" to that list. Cuz that's how I ROLL!

Project Wifey Wife Week #15-The Savory
Roast Chicken and Vegetables for Two
adapted from Bride & Groom First and Forever Cookbook

Ingredients:
Handful of Baby Carrot Sticks
5 Red potatoes; quartered
1 medium onion; cut into wedges
3 Tbs unsalted butter; melted
Salt and pepper to taste
1 Chicken (3-4lbs)
1 lemon; quartered
2 Fresh Rosemary Sprigs
4 cloves; peeled and smashed

Now I must warn you that if this is your first time handling a WHOLE raw chicken, like this newb here ::thumbs pointed to chest::, then there are some things that you need to keep in mind...or errrr...avoid.

First off, while preparing the bird, one must refrain from picking it up like a baby and making it dance. Folks, this is no easy feat, but if you want to save time, this needs to be done. Luckily, time was on my side that night. I think Sonic was amused.













Next, while you are patting the baby the chicken dry, there is no need to talk to it and say "There you go, hun...all dry!" Trust me, it wont say anything back....Jerk...chicken. (See what I did there?)















And lastly, stuffing the chicken's nooks and crannies doesn't have to be weird. If you close your eyes, you can still find the hole just fine. I tried and as you will see, eventually, succeeded.






















1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
2. Put the veggies in a 9x13 inch glass baking dish and toss them with 1Tbs of the melted butter. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Don't forget to leave room for the chicken in the middle.















3. Remove the neck and the giblets from the cavity of the chicken and discard. (BLECK!) Rinse and dry the chicken. Put the chicken, breast-side up, in the center of the baking dish. Rub the chicken with the remaining 2 Tbs. of butter and season generously with salt and pepper.















3. Put the lemon quarters and rosemary springs inside the cavity.
**I didn't have lemon, so I used Orange instead. I thought it might not go, but then I remembered the wisdom of Panda Express...Orange Chicken is legit.**






















4. Put the garlic cloves under the chicken to prevent them from burning. Roast for 45 minutes.



5. Remove the dish and using tongs, tilt the chicken, pouring the juices from the chicken onto the veggies. Shake to coat. Baste the chicken with the lovely juices.
6. Lightly cover the chicken with foil to prevent it from tanning to quickly. Continue to roast until the chicken is deep golden, the juices run clear, and the instant read thermometer inserted into the thigh, reads 170-175. (about 30 minutes)
7. Transfer the chicken to a platter and cover loosely with foil and let stand 10-15 minutes before carving. This will ensure perfect juiciness.
Tell me to my face that this Chick-a-dee isn't the most gorgeous roasted bird you've ever laid eyes on. Well, in my book, I did pretty damn good.
Hubby thought so too and "Mm-mm'd" and "Yeeeaahh, baby'd" all night long...and that wasn't even sexy-time. But this meal sure can seduce a man...and a chicken to do whatever you want. To bad for Hubs, we ate the chicken because now he has to tackle the Laundry volcano.

Comment Por Favor:
  • Have you ever roasted one of these guys before?
  • How's your week going so far?

9 comments:

  1. There's something so satisfying about roasting a turkey. I always feel so grown-up.

    And as for testing, THANK GOD IT'S OVER. Tomorrow the periods are going to seem super long, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never tried to tackle the bird before. Very brave and beautiful outcome Mrs.

    Hark...I too am in state testing hell. Oh how I loath the schedule...only a person not locked in the room with 27 12 years would think it is a great idea to have them eat their lunch in there. Picture if you will...all those little darlings eating in complete silence facing the front. The sweet sound of them smacking on their sandwiches and picking said sandwich from their braces...yuck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kiddos to you!! I've never roasted a chicken before and to be honest I'm kind of intimidated by it.It looks so tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are too funny -- loved reading this post! I've never handled a raw chicken before, but something tells me I would totally make it do a dance. Then again, I'm not sure I ever want to prepare/cook one. Words like "gizzard" and "giblets" freak me out.

    Oh, and orange chicken is totally legit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your dancing baby bird came out beautifully!! I haven't made a whole chicken in ages - I just might have to pick one up next time I'm at the store!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Roasting my first chicken made me feel like a real grown-up and obviously it made me the best wife in the world. Hubs loved it too!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've always been scared to roast a whole bird but this look doable!! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I made $20 for each 20 minute survey!

    Guess what? This is exactly what large companies are paying for. They need to know what their average customer needs and wants. So these companies pay millions of dollars per month to the average person. In return, the average person, like myself, answers some questions and gives them their opinion.

    ReplyDelete

I want to know what you think...no really I do! Leave a comment, question, or just a hello. It'll make me SMILE!

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS